Bob and I got together for dinners every month or two after he retired.  I knew
him from some bird events and a program for St Paul Audubon Socy chapter on
Eskimo Curlew and another on shorebirds.  Everyone who knew him knew that he
never gave up on 'extinct' species, whether ESCU, Ivory-billed Woodpecker, or
even Carolina Parakeet.  He was a happy and optimistic guy.  He spent much of
his retirement continuing the search for IBWO in FL and LA and AR and even
bought a new boat and trailer to access the bayous.  He also knew good food and
knew where the good food and the daily specials were.

I always looked forward to another dinner with him--- he knew so much about
birds, especially shorebirds--- and I learned a lot from him. He also knew all
about FWS bird conservation/recovery programs of many listed species--- a field
he worked in for many years.

When my friend Priscilla Dean died last year she had over 900 books in her
house and a lot of bird books.  I told the family about the MOU annual booksale
and I picked up six boxes of books that I stored in my basement.  I mentioned
this to Bob and he offered to assess the books' values. He also knew that. So
last fall we sat in my basement for hours while he gave a price on every one of
the 104 books.  I wrote the lists and gave them with the books to Liz Harper,
who, with Alex Sundval, conducted the MOU annual mtg book sale (for several
years now).  Bob was very generous with his time.

I was fortunate to attend his memorial service and both family and friends
spoke of his generosity, friendliness, and happy character.

When I was going to Tucson in March, Bob gave me his copy of Birder's Guide to
Southeastern AZ.  He said it was old and he would get the newer edition.  After
I got back we met for coffee and he said there was no 2nd edition.  I set the
book out to return to him when he got back from Spain and France.  We talked on
the phone after that trip and planned to have another dinner the next week,
after he went to Ellsworth WI to do more volunteer work on the WI Breeding Bird
Atlas survey.  He said they did see the 'rarest bird in Europe'--- Bonelli's
Eagle.  The next week I left him a v-msg re. our dinner.  Two days later Alyssa
sent this message.   Bob often said "that's a nice bird" whenever I mentioned
Lucy's Warbler or Rufous-winged Sparrow or any other bird, really.  I think he
loved every bird.  Bob was a "very nice birder" in many ways.

Gordon Andersson

St Paul