I wanted to go out and try for the Glossy Ibis today but with my 6 and 9 year
old girls with me in the car it was too long of a haul. I checked ebird and
noticed quite a few shorebirds were reported at Sanborn Lake this morning by
Douglas Kieser and Brad Abendroth, including a Hudsonian Godwit. So I took my
kids here instead and it turned out to be an amazing location. With the bad
news lately about the 140th Street marsh I thought it would be nice to hear
some good news. Lake Sanborn is being managed for migratory shorebirds and
waterfowl in conjunction with several entities and it appears they are doing an
impressive job. This "lake" is a very large mudflat and perfect for shorebirds
and seemed to be isolated and buffered enough from the surrounding farmland to
be relatively pristine. It is not an ebird hotspot but if they keep managing it
the way it looked today it is sure to attract an impressive array of
shorebirds. The one problem with the location is not from a wildlife/
conservation standpoint but from an accessibility standpoint. The north access
to the lake by way of taking 164 straight south from 320th St. was a nice place
to get out and place the scope but the birds were simply too far away. This
means you need to access the lake from the south and it is a little confusing.
From 340th St. you need to take 137th north. There is a driveway that is just
to the east that parallels 137th. Both locations have a nice little parking
area but I don't think they get many visitors considering different locals
drove up to my car in each location to check out what I was doing. At the
southern access point there is also a very steep hill to traverse down and then
you have to walk out through cattails and place your scope at the end. DO NOT
step in the mud beyond the cattails as you would sink at least 2 feet
immediately (my older daughter was using sticks to measure the mud.) Once you
are there the wildlife is incredible and there is even surrounding forest that
would make this location good during warbler migration as well. I heard a
Pileated Woodpecker and Barred Owl in the woods, indicating good habitat.
Another bit of good news is that the dapper Hudsonian Godwit, a species whose
populations are declining and are only around 70,000 worldwide, is getting a
lot of conservation attention on its wintering grounds. Check out this link
https://whsrn.org/canada-adds-hudsonian-godwit-to-threatened-species-list/. At
the end of the article it talks about how 15 years of research led Chile to
designate a large island wilderness area as a nature sanctuary for Hudsonian
Godwits and Red Knots, two gorgeous species in desperate need of conservation.
I know the Glossy Ibis gets a lot more attention in Minnesota because it is
more rare here but to me the Hudsonian Godwit is an incredible species,
especially in its handsome breeding attire!
Jason Caddy
South Minneapolis
j.ca...@hotmail.com
[https://whsrn.org/wp-content/uploads/2019/07/hugo_threatened_featureimage.jpg]<https://whsrn.org/canada-adds-hudsonian-godwit-to-threatened-species-list/>
Canada Adds Hudsonian Godwit to Threatened Species
List<https://whsrn.org/canada-adds-hudsonian-godwit-to-threatened-species-list/>
This spring, the Committee on the Status of Endangered Wildlife in Canada
(COSEWIC) added the Hudsonian Godwit (Limosa haemastica) to its growing list of
“wildlife species in danger of disappearing from Canada.”The committee convenes
twice a year to designate species at risk of extinction with a status of
Special Concern, Threatened, or Endangered.
whsrn.org