Maureen & I spent close to 4 hours at Crow-Hassan Park this morning.  Most of that time we were in prairie habitat.  It was a beautiful morning and the birds cooperated, for the most part.  The lupines were not yet at their peak, but there were lots of penstemon, prairie phlox, puccoon, and others.

Highlights:

White Pelican - scores of them, possibly over 100, on Sylvan Lake when we arrived at 6:00 am; we were treated to flyover flocks of 2 to 20 all morning Grasshopper Sparrow - almost everywhere in the prairie areas; often we were hearing multiple singing males Henslow's Sparrow - Not as numerous as grasshoppers, but widespread; probably heard more than a dozen.  At one point we were watching a Henslow's and a grasshopper sparrow simultaneously singing in a single binocular field of view--nice! Dickcissel - heard, then saw one about 600' west of "Four Corners"; later saw one at Four Corners itself, but probably was the same bird.  FOY
Orchard Oriole - saw one silent male NE of Prairie Lake.  FOY

We searched hard for Bobolinks, but failed to find any.  Same with Vesper Sparrow, but I'm not confident in my ability to recognize one by song alone.

Ron Refsnider
Coon Rapids, MN