I should have mentioned that while yesterday's essay on the Common Swift in the
New York Times magazine contains some very interestingfacts and studies about
the European Common Swift, the author Helen MacDonald has written an essay that
is more like a poem. It's anallegorical piece of how human society and
individuals have something to learn from swifts. I found it a very touching
piece of literature.
Aside from the author's philosophizing, the author's descriptions are amazing
of how Common Swift flocks rise above the clouds, up to 6000 feet,at twilight
to presumably collectively judge weather fronts and then repeat their high
flying reconnaissance at dawn.
https://www.nytimes.com/2020/07/29/magazine/vesper-flights.html

Val Landwehr
Minneapolis