At Marsh Lake this morning with Kathy Mattsson, I spotted a single
Buff-Breasted Sandpaper on the Marsh Lake mudflats, between Louisburg
and Correll.

This was along the Minnesota River Scenic Byway route. The road has 3
names: if you're north of the lake, it'll either be listed as T-156 or
615th Ave; if you're south of the lake, it's 225th. Copy/paste the
coordinates below into a search engine to get an idea of the exact
spot. It was on the drier, southerly portion of the flats, where the
emergent reeds are thickest.

45.213317, -96.197363

We were scoping a huge mixed flock of Dunlins and Pectoral Sandpipers
(several hundred birds, adults and juveniles) when I noticed the
Buff-Breasted walking by itself on the outskirts of the flock. It
didn't associate with any of the other birds. Erect posture, short
black bill, little black eyes, dark/light "diamondback" pattern on
wings, back, tail and crown distinct from the Pectorals; breast a
clean "buffy" ochre, belly paler, with yellow legs.

It was too far out for photos; someone would've needed at least a
600mm lens to get a decent doc shot.

--
Jason M. Frank
Ortonville Public Library