The three Mississippi Kites first reported by the Bethany Hawk Watch continued
today. An immature was photographed and documented by the Bethany Hawkwatch on
Thursday. Two adults had also been reported. We struggled to get photos today
as they were constantly shifting and gliding, some times at great heights.
About a dozen people got to see them. A scope was useful but not necessary. At
one point they were observed feeding on dragonflies near the entrance to the
park.

Best viewing was at the Land of Memories Park in Mankato.

The birds are fairly sporadic but were seen several times: 10:15AM, 11:10AM,
12:10PM, and 12:40 PM.

We initially saw one adult, which was later joined by a second bird. We
eventually saw three kites at once: two adults and one immature.

If you park in the parking lot just south of the soccer fields and look north,
they can be seen flying near the red and white radio tower above the bluff
which is across the river and in Nicollet County. They do cruise in and out of
sight at any part of the park which is in Blue Earth County.

It helps to have many observers. Best viewing times seem to consistently be
between 10AM-Noon.

Patience is a virtue for this chase.

Best of luck to everyone!

Kimberly Emerson