On Monday I saw a Rough-legged Hawk hovering by Mother Lake on the NW
corner of the lake (Hwy 62 & Hwy 77). It was instantaneously recognizable
as it is the only large raptor that regularly hovers as it hunts. The other
raptor that hovers is the Kestrel, which is quite small.

One day visitors in my yard in the last week include a YB Sapsucker, one or
two Tufted Titmice and a flock of European Starlings (thankfully a rare
visitor).

This has been quite a bountiful week on my Peromyscus trap line. Whether I
am catching North American Deermice or White-footed Mice in my garage I am
not certain. I try to keep the population down in the garage so I am not
bothered by them scampering in the attic. I have no idea if it works. The
most successful trap in one corner of the garage usually contains only
partial remains of the trapped mice. The trapped mice are being eaten in
all probability by shrews. I have caught two or three species including
Short-tailed, cinereus (masked), and I believe pygmy.
Steve Weston
On Quigley Lake in Eagan, MN
swest...@comcast.net