Hello MOU,I am hoping someone can lend a hand in identifying a bird I saw
today.I have done internet searching everywhere with no result and this is a
last resort.
Today while in the Carlos Avery WMA I saw a bird flying at a not-very-high
altitude (50 ft?) over
a wetland in the vicinity of Pool 2 or Pool 10 twice
between the hours of 10:30 AM driving and 12:00 PM hiking - so this was day
time.The bird shape reminded me of some type of Night-jar (which are more on
the nocturnal side).
Thick cigar shaped body, was slightly wider in the middle than on the ends.
Dark in color overall with no identifiable markings.
The wings were uniquely crescent shaped.
It was about the size of three or four Chimney Swifts.Now that I think about
it, I could see the body and the shape of BOTH wings which leads me to believe
it was not in level flight.But instead 90 degrees from horizontal.

I have looked at list after list of birds seen in the area, and nothing stands
out as a possible suspect for this medium sized bird.
It was eye catching to watch because it looked so unique in shape to other
birds I have ever seen, as it zoomed by in a straight line.

Any thoughts would be appreciated.

Thank you,
Matthew R Johnson705 MCKNIGHT RD N APT 302ST PAUL MN   55119-4152