I spent some time this afternoon observing a kestrel nest box in The Belwin
Conservancy’s Stagecoach Prairie in Washington County.  This is one of two nest
boxes in a collaboration between Belwin and Saint Paul Audubon.  Today, a
female American Kestrel consumed a small snake, brought by her mate, on top of
the nest box pole, and then she stayed in place and preened for a long time.  I
was hoping to see her enter the nest box (I think they have one or more eggs
but are not yet incubating).  As I was walking away, I saw a kestrel and a
Common Raven interacting overhead.  My initial thought was that the kestrel was
trying to drive the raven away from the nest box, and perhaps that’s how the
encounter began, but I quickly realized that the raven, not the kestrel, was
the aggressor.  The Raven continued to chase the kestrel for perhaps a minute,
with the kestrel barely able to escape with quick dives and turns until the
raven broke off the chase.  In 2020, a kestrel pair abandoned this nest box
with five eggs.  I have suspected that one or both of the kestrels were victims
of a Cooper’s Hawk, but now I’m adding Common Raven to the list of suspects.

Julian Sellers
Saint Paul