Thanks everyone for the responses and thoughts,

I am going to cut / paste some of the responses that came only to me,  that
may be of interest to others regarding this topic.

I have gotten permission from each to do so.  I will put lines between the
different responses, with the writer's name.
--------------------
I looked in Paul Erlich's "A Birder's Handbook" and read that the
Red-bellied's diet consists of nuts, fruit, seeds and insects.  There was
no mention of them eating mammals.  It did say that they will hoard food in
cavities.  I hope your e-mail to the MOU elicits a response from someone
who has done fieldwork with woodpeckers.

S Carlson
-------------------
I’ve seen red bellied woodpeckers hunting and catching leopard frogs as the
lakes are freezing up and the frogs were stuck on the thin ice on the edge,
too cold to move quickly. I didn’t see them eating the frogs but they
speared them with their beak and carried it up into the trees.

M. Keefe
-------------------
Amazing report, Brian! I've never seen a woodpecker do anything like
this, but the resource Birds of the World says this of Red-bellied
Woodpeckers: "Small prey are swallowed whole, and larger prey (e.g.,
nestling birds, lizards, small mammals, large caterpillars, large
insects) are killed by beating against branches or pecking, and then
are torn or hammered into pieces before swallowing." So I guess they
do indeed hunt larger prey! They also feed on songbird eggs and young
and do indeed cache, particularly in fall and winter.

What an incredible sighting, though. I never knew woodpeckers would
collect small mammals and lizards! Very shrike-y, as you said.

J. Del Rosso
-----------------------
Yes, please feel free to share. I was writing while heading out the door
and am not active in the Minnesota list (I'm a CO birder who occasionally
visits MN), so I didn't write to the whole list.

I've tried digging up references on the bird taking mammals. One is in a
1980s issue of Michigan Audobon's *Jack Pine Warbler *newsletter, which
isn't currently available online. There's one ornithological article
documenting the woodpecker visiting a deer carcass. Though the fact that
they feed on small mammals and other vertebrates seems relatively well
established, my rather quick and not especially thorough look through of
references doesn't turn up much. So congrats on documenting a fairly
uncommon behavior.
J. Del Rosso
------------------------
Hi Brian,
That’s some great photos you got…I’ve never seen a RBWO with a mammal
before but years ago I had a camera in my Wood Duck nesting box and
witnessed one pecking open eggs that  hadn’t been incubated yet - then,
returning after the chicks hatched & jumped to eat the infertile eggs that
remained.
So glad you shared your encounter, this woodpecker amazes me with its
diversity in food source.

C. Gagliardi

Thanks again to everyone for the interesting thoughts and responses,

Brian T.
St. Paul