Tom, and anyone else who may be curious,

The pond is downslope of the road and scopeable from there (there are wide
enough shoulders for pulling over, but it can also be a busy road, so be
cautious of course).  I've visited this site many times and never felt a
need to ask for access for viewing beyond what I can see from the road, and
I'm assuming all reports have been without special access but I'm not sure
(as I haven't been there to see this particular bird).

Kyle Te Poel