Laura et al. — just as an FYI, we are all for removing those names considered
obstacles, as much as anyone else, but not the baby-with-bathwater approach
that dishonors many good people and founders of ornithology.

Concerning changes in bird names, see what I wrote at the petition site under
“Names change all the time”.  Up until now, the change has been only on average
1 per year, not 80 in whatever short time span the new bird names committee
choses.

Concerning where we direct our energies, I couldn’t agree more, but keep in
mind that the energy expenditure and emotion has come mainly from the
anti-eponym side.

Respectfully, Van Remsen