A very cooperative Lark Sparrow was foraging the roadside of the marsh late
this morning, giving ample time to examine its harlequin facial pattern and
colors. I had just been to Spring Lake Park Reserve on Pine Bend
Trail, looking for this species without success, though it was  a treat to
hear Orchard Oriole singing there.
At the marsh, I stopped to look at a Yellow Warbler on the fence. Two Lark
Sparrows appeared on the edge of the road in front of the car. One entered
the grass, but the other remained in the road, seeming on high alert, for a
few minutes until I drove off. It seems the compromised habitat can still
hold some pleasant surprises
Linda Whyte