On the southern end of the restored oak savanna to the east of the East 36th
Street parking lot along West River Road in Mississippi Gorge Regional Park, I
both heard and saw a Connecticut Warbler at 10 AM this morning (Monday, May
20). The bird sang only one complete song while hidden in dense shrubbery, then
flew up to a nearby oak tree, where its grey hood and distinct, complete white
eye ring were clearly visible. The rest of the bird was hidden by leaves. On
the morning of Sunday, May 19, I observed an adult Red-headed Woodpecker in
this same area. Also on May 19, in a wooded area about 200 feet south of the
Red-headed Woodpecker observation, I both heard and saw a Yellow-bellied
Flycatcher, identified by its yellow breast and belly as well as by its
distinctive call.