I'm trying to do a sample "form signing" and the signature verification keeps failing. Am I missing something obviously wrong here?

1) I have simple webpage that creates a signed text blob via a form.
2) When I submit the form, the signed text dialog appears.
3) I enter my master password, choose my cert and press "ok".
4) the text is signed.
5) I paste the data and the signed blob into separate files for testing.
6) In a command line, I compare the text to the signed blob using signver, e.g. "signver -a -d . -s /tmp/data.signed -i /tmp/data -V -v"
7) In every case, I get the same result: "signatureValid=no:Bad PKCS7 signature".

I'm using a VeriSign cert that I know is valid..I use it in the same browser instance to sign data on their websites. I copied the cert7 and key3 files from the browser into a directory for the signver tool to use. I'm using FireFox 1.0 on Mac OS X, and the NSS tools v 3.9.2.

I'm not sure what I'm doing wrong.  Any ideas?

bill