Ram0502 wrote:

That's an interesting suggestion, it provides the same kind of
authentication for HTTPS as the above does for secure email. If the
session is initiated by the CA this proves the ability to control the
host at the specified location. I wouldn't give them my CC# but it does
create a relationship. I wouldn't provide any sensitive information to
them as they could be hard to track down if were facing fraud as
presumably I wouldn't know their identity.

But what if the certificate is only used to protect passwords for webmail and doesn't need the ability to be found for fraud?

Binary security can't deal with both situations simutaniously and adequately, it needs to indicate visually the level of security...

--

Best regards,
 Duane

http://happysnapper.com.au - Sell your photos over the net!
http://e164.org - Using Enum.164 to interconnect asterisk servers

"In the long run the pessimist may be proved right,
    but the optimist has a better time on the trip."