John Marmion <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> writes:
> This mail was posted successfully to the mozilla mailist
> yesterday but failed to make to the Netscape news group.
> I have been advised to resend it......
>
> The following is a fragment from a question and reply which
> was originally posted to the mailnews mailing list but this
> is a more appropriate forum to follow up. I am a colleague of
> Paul Sandoz here in Dublin who posted the original mail about
> 2 weeks ago which stated that we are looking at adding LDAP
> access to Mozilla.
>
> Dan Mosedale reply stated that work was already
> onging on LDAP RDF via <Peter van der Beken> and that it
> would be going back into the tree soon.

Yeah, I'm still having some problems making it work for me, and am in
the midst of trying to shake them out.  I hope to get it fixed soon
and checked in.  If you need it immediately, let me know and I'll send
it to you.

> I am interested in this. I am not specifically interested in
> the LDAP RDF datasource code but on the added LDAP code in general.
> I am enquiring into how this was implemented, what the idl looked
> like, is the code a wrapper around the existing LDAP C-sdk etc. Is
> this code a follow up to the existing code in the directory/xpcom tree?
> When are we likely to see the code in the tree?

Well, the RDF code itself is a Javascript component.  It lives in
directory/xpcom/datasource.  It calls into the code in
directory/xpcom/base for the actual LDAP work.  (Much of) the stuff in
directory/xpcom/base is in fact just an XPCOM wrapper around the LDAP C
SDK.  The IDL is in directory/xpcom/base/public.  All this stuff
should be browsable via http://lxr.mozilla.org/.

> This looks like it has similarities to the work we are
> currently investigating and we would rather avail of existing
> code than attempt to write our own and find out later that it
> is already implemented. Can Dan or Peter or anyone
> fill me on the details of this. I would appreciate any clarification
> on this. Thanks in advance

Absolutely; coordinating our work would be a fine thing.  I'm in the
process of transitioning to a new job right now where I will be
working full-time on LDAP browser integration, so now is a great time
for us to try and make sure that our work intersects cleanly.

I noticed that someone from your group (Martin?) had posted some
addressbook-related IDL to one of the groups a while ago.  Is that
still relevant to your strategy?

Dan