Paul Sandoz <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> writes:

> >The contents of last week's LDAP internationalization meeting has been
> >posted here: <http://www.mozilla.org/mailnews/meetings/index.html>.
> >

>       From the latest IRC chat there was a question about pab storage:
>
> "<momoi> Do you know if the Mozilla AdBook pab currently stores in
>          UTF-8 or in Unicode (which would be UCS-2 or UTF016)?"
>
>       More specifically the mork client implementation converts
>       wstring attributes into utf8 strings which are
>       then stored:
>
> http://lxr.mozilla.org/seamonkey/source/mailnews/addrbook/src/nsAddrDatabase.cpp
>

>       It is the same for the preferences:
>
> http://lxr.mozilla.org/seamonkey/source/mailnews/addrbook/src/nsDirPrefs.cpp#217
> 9

That sounds like it is consistent with Momoi's statement about
UTF16/UCS2 (aka PRUnichar * / wstring) being used in interfaces, but
UTF8 being used as the preferred storage mode for Unicode.

>       What does this imply for full i18n support?

I think that once we convert the LDAP XPCOM SDK to wstrings, we'll be
in good shape, at least with regards to LDAPv3 servers that are
following the standard by having their data in UTF8.

>       When converting from/to unicode is any data lossed?
>       or are unicode characters encoded into the UTF string.

When you say "unicode", I assume you mean wstring (UTF16/UCS2)
format.  UTF8 is also a unicode encoding.  As I understand it, UTF8
<-> UTF16/UCS2 encoding is lossless.

Dan