David J Kernen wrote:

> I doubt that ldapsearch (and similarly but in an opposite direction,
> ldapmodify) do anything special to maintain order; they just process
> what they're given in the order they receive it because that's the
> easiest way.

That's all I wanted Perldap to do too.  Just process them in the order it
receives them.  I'm pretty sure that Perldap does do that on reading, just
not on writing.  Unfortunately, Perl hashes don't maintain any order, so for
Perldap, it's NOT the easiest way.  I guess nobody but me thinks it's worth
the trouble to work around that.

> I'm also not sure how useful it would be to control the order; I've been
> doing ldap programming about eight years and it's never been something
> that I wanted to do. Examining access logs and the changelog have always
> been sufficient for me, along with the occasional ldif diff.

When I'm debugging a problem, I just want to be able to use ldapsearch to
examine records and have them displayed in a more reasonable order, ie., the
order I stored them in.

> Just use the addValue method instead of setValues to add one
> attribute/value pair per method call, and then call the update method
> after calling addValue. That will do what you want.

I think the overhead of adding one attribute at a time would be more than
it's worth.  I guess the solution for me is to write a replacement for
ldapsearch that displays records with the attributes in the order I want to
see them.

Thanks again for your time.

Russ

--
Russell D. Wilton                     E Mail: [EMAIL PROTECTED]
Network Services Manager              Voice:   (403) 329-2525