Hi,

  I am having a problem getting the directory server to follow the
smart referral nodes that I have created. I've followed the
documentation, and created
smart referral node with "referral" objectclass and attribute "ref"
set appropriately. However, all I get in the NDS 5.0 (iPlanet) console
is
"This entry could not be read".

[Q] How is the "smart referral" propogated ?

 Given, that I did not have any proxy like user set up in order to get
authenticated across my 2nd server.

 Given, that I have heard noise about buggy netscape console, I also
attempt
an ldapsearch using the utilities as well as some perl code using
perldap API, however all I get is :

 "Could not follow referral"
    ldaps://xyz.com/ou=People,o=xyz.com

  The smart referral, I have is in the following trees :

    o=abc.com                      o=xyz.com
        |                              |
   ------------                ----------------
   |          |                |               |
  ou=People   ou=Groups      ou=People        ou=Groups
   |_ou=xyzPeople
      ref=ldap://xyz.com/ou=People,o=xyz.com

 In reality, I've only seen the "smart referral" working in NDS 4.11,
when I was managing the configurations of 2nd server instances from
the 1st server install. This i something you can choose to do at
installation point.

 I would really appreciate any help you are able to give on this. As I
don't get an opportunity to read this news groups that often, please
CC me any posted
[EMAIL PROTECTED]

 Many thanks,

   Tarang