I've used rolodap to write to my LDAP database. I'm also interested in using Mozilla to read/write to LDAP database. Has anyone come up with an add-on to Mozilla to enable it to write to a LDAP database ?

Jim Willeke wrote:
Great thread with lots of good discussion.

I do not think in most cases, a "normal" end-user would be able to write to a corporate directory as they normally do not have access rights. It would be a free-for-all with so many changes to an entry that the integrity of the data would become suspect.

Regardless of being able to write to the directory or not:
I think a attribute mapping interface is needed to even read ldap entries. So the mozillaemail could map to homeemail or whatever. This would also be needed to import or export LDIF files.

Currently, the use of most LDAP servers from the address book in current release does not match due to attribute naming and usage issues.

Another nice feature would be to change the search attributes that are used. The current search is pretty ugly in some LDAP implementations.

And in an export, drop the mail as a part of a multi valued DN as it is unnecessary and redundant.

I do NOT understand what the big deal is with multiple values in an attribute, especially if it is read only.

Just my thoughts.
Let me know if I can help.

-jim

Markus Fischer wrote:

Hi,

    My specific problem is that I want to centralize my
    addressbook. However, Mozilla only allows me to query the
    LDAP server, not to modify and create no entries in the LDAP
    addressbook.

    Is Mozilla only meant to query those entries and not edit,
    modify them ? So I would need another software for managing
    those information ?

thanks for any pointers,

- Markus