Hi all,

I've finally fixed most of the outstanding PerLDAP bugs, as well as adding a few missing features, and I'm ready to release this soon. As such, I've created a first beta release, which you can download via FTP from

        ftp://ftp.ogre.com/pub/perldap/perldap-1.5b1.tar.gz

(the source is in the devel-branch-1_4_2 branch in CVS).

There are numerous changes made here, in particular:

   - Support for latest Mozilla and Sun C-SDK (v5.x)
   - Now defaults to LDAP v3 protocol, but you can downgrade to v2 easily
   - Fully support Perl 5.005 and later
   - Added "hash" style prototypes to all class methods that takes more
     than one argument

New functionality -----------------

Conn.pm:
        * setVersion() - Set the LDAP protocol version
        * getVersion() - Get the current LDAP protocol in use
        * installNSPR() - Make the connection use NSPR I/O etc.
        * setNSPRTimeout() - Set the connection timeout, in ms

API.xs:
        * Added support for prldap_install_routines().

The documentation has not been fully updated yet, the one thing missing from the docs is that most of the Conn methods now take "hash" style arguments. For instance

$entry = $conn->search({ base => $ld{root},
                         scope => $ld{scope},
                         filter => $search,
                         sortattrs => ["objectclass"],
                         cmp => sub { return $_[0] cmp $_[1]; }
                       });

I have only tested this on Linux and Solaris, using the 5.x LDAP C-SDK. If you are still using PerLDAP, I would really appreciate if you:

1) Test this release, and report bugs (either file a bug through Bugzilla, post here, or email me). Porting to more platforms would be good.

2) Fix whatever is broken! :-)

3) And finally, I'd love to hear if there's still interest in a Perl API wrapper on top of the C-SDK. If there is, I will probably head up a new project building a new extention on top of C-SDK using SWIG. FWIW, a very informal test of PerLDAP vs the native Perl LDAP APIs is that the C-SDK is at least a magnitude faster.

In any case, comments and discussions are welcome! Rich Megginson has showed interest in continuing "scripting" language support for the C-SDK, so maybe this time we can actually create a real team. :-)

Cheers,

-- leif