Hi,

I am trying to use a dn which has special characters in it within a
filter.

The special characters that I am told to expect include \/,()-_."

I am trying to use this filter to determine group membership for the
user.

A typical dn might be something like: cn=Smith\, James //Captain
(level1), ou=users, dc=company, dc=com

Escaping this has turned out to be a nightmare :-(

Whenever I try to escape the comma with backslashes I always get a

netscape.ldap.LDAPException: Bad search filter (89); Bad parameter to an
LDAP method
        at
netscape.ldap.LDAPConnection.sendRequest(LDAPConnection.java:1804)
        at netscape.ldap.LDAPConnection.search(LDAPConnection.java:2520)
        at netscape.ldap.LDAPConnection.search(LDAPConnection.java:2402)
        at Tester.<init>(Tester.java:108)
        at Tester.main(Tester.java:163)

Does anyone have any advice for escaping special characters using the
netscape LDAP API?

- James