Benjamin D. Smedberg wrote:

Fred wrote:

[snipped interesting opinions]

Mark-Up Requirements: Using XML has many advantages, but transforming existing documentation may prove difficult. Using XHTML Strict markup has many of the advantages of XML and can easily be parsed into XML

I think that forcing people to use XML is an unwelcome barrier. Let's be realistic, people are gonna write these long docs using their favorite editor, be it Mozilla Composer, Dreamweaver, or by hand.

I can code in XHTML strict: no problem. I would be willing to adapt to an XML format (or any kind of suitable format) if this would serve a long-term goal of helping site maintainability, code reusability and webpage interoperability.

The content is
the important part, not the format.

I don't agree with this. Format is as important as content: the 2 are inseparable. Furthermore when the document serves an instructional goal, uses didactical means on the web. Students, readers don't learn, don't come back to a tutorial/documentary website when there is no content or bad content; students don't learn, don't come back to a tutorial/documentary website when the format is poor, awkward, confusing.

DU