On 2004-09-13, Anne van Kesteren <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
>> I guess the main question really is what's more important?
>> Maintainability or performance?  I know that .htaccess files incur a
>> performance hit, but I feel that the level of maintainability it
>> affords makes it worth the hit.
>>
> (I'm personally all in for httpd.conf, but that's just because I'm a
> perfectionist.)

But, as a perfectionist, if you saw a page that was broken or wrong, you'd
probably like it to be fixed quickly, rather than remaining broken for
days while it was being arranged for a system administrator to make the
change (which might take a day or two or seven), or having the redirect
done with client-side javascript.

Ideally it would be httpd.conf and there would be someone available 7 days
to make changes on request within a matter of hours.  Given that we're
relying on a small number (1?) of busy people, I think it makes sense to
let the work be spread between other people (and the servers), using
.htaccess.

--
Michael