Rick wrote:

> I've inherited some code that uses DHTML to display columns and rows.
> Each row alternates the background color.
> With IE, if the column value is empty, a background is still painted.
> With Netscape and Mozilla, if the column value is empty the background
> is not painted.
> Which is the correct behavior?

If you mean that the background color of cells alternates for each row,
and if by 'column value' you mean 'table cell', then Mozilla is correct.
According to CSS2, empty cells have transparent backgrounds.

See:
  http://www.w3.org/TR/REC-CSS2/tables.html#table-layers

However, setting the background color of the rows, rather than the
cells, would work.

--
Regards,
Val Sharp - Edinburgh