JTK wrote:

> jesus X wrote:

>>> Not much more.  "Display this tree of items, please".  "Tell me the
>>> current selection".
>>
>> In english, you are correct. But, since my English -> Machine code compiler
>> is still in the pre-planning phase, it's not yet an acceptable programming
>> language. The API calls on the three major platforms are not only
>> significantly different for this type of function, they're also
>> significantly more complex than "Display a tree". As such, it's inefficient
>> to code it 3+ times.
>
> But the API to get a file name from the user is *not* significantly more
> complex than "Get me a filename", and doesn't differ significantly
> between platforms?  Hell, the very filenames they're getting differ
> significantly between platforms!

Actually, filenames don't really differ by much. Usually the only real
difference is that the path separators are different, but that's easy to
keep separate, and there's usually a constant defined for it.

Tree displays, on the other hand, vary widely, because no two OSes even
agree on how a tree should be defined, what methods it should have, what
those methods should be called, etc. This is known to just about anyone
who has taken a programming course.

Nobody likes a back-seat driver. Especially if he's never taken driver's ed.