Thanks for the objective advice :-)

Its not the reader thats the problem, its the fact that I'm using a slow
dial-up link (no alternative) so it would be more efficient to FTP a
compressed archive rather than read message by message.

> If you don't require offline capabilities, then try Xnews;

I do require offline (thats why I asked the question!) - I want to read as
much as I can offline as "training" on this scary new thing called Mozilla.

Cheers,
Chris.