Actually, it's better than I was expecting, but apparently the CSS width
attribute can be used with textboxes, here's an example code, use as you
please. I tested it with IE5 and today's Mozilla build (not sure if
Netscape 6 has a bug that might prevent it from rendering differently),
and I'm getting almost identical results on both browsers:

"http://www.w3.org/TR/xhtml1/DTD/transitional.dtd";>
   <head>
     <title>Gerbil-Box - The Next Generation</title>
   </head>
   <!--
     input {
       font-family: verdana, sans-serif;
       font-size: 12pt; width: 100px;
     }
   //-->
     <form method="get" action="forms.html">
       <input type="text" name="name" size="20" maxlength="60"
value="Look at me! I'm a text box widget!">
     </form>

Happy now? Got any questions about this, will answer.

--
Alex                        <:3)~~
http://www.gerbilbox.com/newzilla/