Rip Toren wrote:

> The connection goes either to the outside world, or localhost. How about
> a security popup (and associated preference settings (allow, question,
> deny)) concerning connection to the local host (localhost,
> 127.0.0.1,myIP,etc). Then the user would be in some control when a page
> attempted to use the somewhat priveleged state of having the socketpeer
> being the local host.

The URI I mentioned does *not* use localhost. "localhost"
in the URI could be replaced with any arbitrary string and
most SMTP servers would be happy with it.

You can connect either to a mail server which is accepting
mail for the recipient, or to mail server which supports
relaying (e.g. your ISP's mail server). They can be anywhere
in the net. The former can easily be found for every mail
address via DNS.

If you have a local mail server you could use "localhost"
after the '@' too, but most users don't have one, so that
is probably not the main problem.

Clarence