JTK wrote:

> DeMoN_LaG wrote:
>
>>Mustafa Hirji wrote:
>>

>>>In article <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>, [EMAIL PROTECTED]
>>>says...

>>>But then the started talking again.
>>>

>>Kast I heard they weren't talking.  Maybe AOL will realize they have
>>enough customer base and new incoming customers WITHOUT having it on the
>>Windows desktop that they are finally going to say screw off to MS.  I'd
>>love to see a linux version of AOL
>>

> I'd love to see AOL be Linux-ONLY.  That way they'd have exactly zero
> customers and the AOL blight would disappear from the earth.

Who said anything about Linux only?  Right now, AOL can't release a
linux/BeOS/FreeBSD/non Win32 or Mac client because they have to use IE
as their browser.  MS will not release IE for any other OS.  Why?  Well,
I would imagine that they can't do it for Linux because Linux is an open
source project, and as such they'd have to not integrate it into the
persons desktop.  IE loses 100% of it's advantages when it's uncoupled
from Windows (takes about as long as current Mozilla builds take to
start).  And *if* AOL went linux only, the only reason that there would
be zero customers is that anyone who can set up their own linux box is
beyond AOL's user friendly environment and they use a real ISP.  Oh,
hey, troll boy.  What's the most common web server out there?  Is it Win
NT?  Oh.. hey look at that.  It's Apache, an OPEN SOURCE web server that
runs on Linux, an OPEN SOURCE operating system.  When was the last time
that Linux needed an emergency patch to fix a security hole?  Linux is
BUILT by people who know how hackers can attack systems (and even some
hackers themselves).  They aren't dumb enough to do stuff like MS does
with it's IIS software and leave it vulnerable to a buffer overrun that
let's anyone take complete control of the server over without you
knowing.  But hell, Open Source sucks anyway, right?  Why bother with
all this, why not just go spend a couple hundred thousand dollars on
anything with an MS logo and wait for Bill Gates to appear in your
dreams saying "You will be assimilated"