Ian Hickson wrote:

> On Sun, 1 Jul 2001, Brian Z Jones wrote:
>
>>I disagree. I figure, you know what you sent me, you want to see what
>>I'm saying in reply first.
>>

> This fails on three counts.
>
> 1. I have no idea what I sent you. I send dozens and dozens of e-mails
>    each day. There is no way I can remember what I sent you.
>
> 2. I receive hundreds of e-mails each day. If I can't work out what you're
>    talking about within a few seconds, then I lose interest and move on.

Well, both of these "fail" as rebuttals.
1) That is what the SUBJECT line is for, to refresh you seemingly
limited memory with regard to our conversation.
2) If you don't find our conversation interesting, then you should
rightly delete it anyway, regardless of format.

> 3. On mailing lists, I usually didn't write the original message, and so
>    there is no way I can remember "what I wrote".

As for this, I agree. I was referring more to e-mail than to news. I
don't read newsgroups too often, but, as I've been doing a lot recently,
I have found that this is true [hence the format of my current reply].

>>[...] as your reply may get lost as I scroll on down, so I guess I just
>>like things my own way.
>>

> If you are using a mail client which highlights text based on the ">"
> nesting level, you won't miss a thing.

PINE doesn't do this, and was my main reader for a long time [until
about six months ago]. I've noticed Outlook do this occasionally, but it
seems random. Either way, I've started to use Moz for my news [which
does do this], and may switch my mail over once it hits v1.0.

-bZj