I downloaded Mozilla for the first time last month and just downloaded a
nightly build.  Not knowing exactly what to do with the zip file, I
unzipped it to the Mozilla directory.  I expected that any duplicate
files would be overwritten but this wasn't the case.  There are two
mozilla.exe files in different folders.  Clicking on the newer of the
two starts up Mozilla and the Build ID confirms that the more recent
build is running.  Is it possible though, that the new build is using a
file or two that is associated with the previous build instead of using
the more recent file?  This also doesn't seem like an efficient use of
space.

The question that I am really asking is:

What is the proper way to install an updated build?

Scott