Thomas wrote:

> Hi, i just noticed something strange...it happens with Moz and IE
>
> see this testcase (it's a simplified DOM sample from mozilla.org I used
> for testing fade stuff)
>
> http://www.velosschrade.ch/test/testfade.html
>
> first I thought this is some bug in Mozilla, but IE does it too....but
> why?? shouldn't the result after adding 0.03 to 0.27 be 0.3 ???
>
> thomas
>
> PS: I know it's annoying to press enter so many times ;)

No. Floating point arithmetic doesn't work that way. A fraction which
may be finite in one base may be a 'repeating decimal' in another base.
Conversion from base 10 to base 2 and back to base 10 can result in that
type of conversion error.

The solution is to reduce the precision of the answer to the precision
of the operands.