Al Smith wrote:

> This has happened in Mozilla milestones, and just today I noticed
> it in Netscape 6.1. Somehow JavaScript is turning itself on for
> Main and News. Does anyone know why this is happening?
>
> When I download a new milestone or nightly of Mozilla, everything
> is already turned on after install -- Java, JavaScript, Cookies,
> and so on. I always turn everything off. But later, when I happen
> to look in my menus, sometimes JavaScript for Mail and News is
> turned back on. This is driving me crazy. I'm afraid to use
> Mozilla or Netscape 6.1 for reading newsgroups because of this
> weirdness. (Parenthetically, no one should have JavaScript for
> Mail and News turned on, ever. It shouldn't even *exist* as an
> option. It's dangerous.)

Netscape and Mozilla have always had a setting in preferences to allow
Javascript in Mail & News as well as in the browser.

You must be thinking about Active-X. Pure Active-X as MicroSoft
implements it "is" dangerous.

Netscape at one time created an Active-X plugin (for Navigator 3). But
decided at the time Active-X was more insecure than Java at the time. So
development was cancelled. Its My understanding that Mozilla now uses
"some" Active-X but not all the calls and there fore is secure.

Javascript has been around for a long time. The only disadvantage of
Javascript is that it allows all of those popup advertising boxes that
people would like to reach through the line to the author and grab them
by the throat. But since much of it pays for internet. we have to live
with it.
Phillip M. Jones, CET     |MEMBER:VPEA (LIFE) ETA-I, NESDA,ISCET, Sterling
616 Liberty Street        |Who's Who. PHONE:540-632-5045, FAX:540-632-0868
Martinsville Va 24112-1809|[EMAIL PROTECTED], ICQ11269732, AIM pjonescet

If it's "fixed", don't "break it"!

mailto:[EMAIL PROTECTED]