Josh Soref wrote:

> Miro Lehtonen wrote:
> > Why does Javascript stop working if I add this line to the file prefs.js ?
> Java, not javascript. there's a bug in bugzilla about this.

Do you happen to remember the id of the bug ? it's ok if not.

> > Netscape 6.1 won't even start after that change but it says that I
> > shouldn't use IE plugins for javascript.
> Java not JavaScript.

The error message said javascript, not java. Both java and javascript
worked just fine before I edited this file (prefs.js). And I got the
error upon launching the application.

> Basically the JRE you're using is Sun's. And they don't want you to use it w/ IE.
>For various reasons, it makes sense for Sun to have an IE focussed plugin to use w/
>IE (and want you to use it), and IE stopped supporting the NP4 plugin interface, so
>if you were using it and then upgraded to the latest version of ie, your java applets
>would stop working because the plugin would be ignored.

My applets didn't exactly stop working but my browser started to crash
when I launched it. I admit, I use Sun's JRE but it usedn't to be a
problem.

> For now you have a few options
> 1. don't forge IE.
> 2. Don't use Sun's JRE w/ mozilla (or keep 2 mozillas).
> 3. Find another JRE -- it does exist, although you have to jump through some hoops.
>
> Oh right, what's a JRE? JRE = Java Runtime Environment, it's the thing that runs
>java byte code.
>
> Currently there's no eta for 'fixing' the problem. But it's really less than 2hours
>worth of work so anyone could do it.

Ok, it took me an hour or two to uninstall both Netscape 6 and Mozilla's
latest build. I also removed my messed up profiles, I don't know if they
had something to do with the problem. Honestly, I don't remember testing
applets with Mozilla but javascript used to work fine until I edited
prefs.js. well it works again now that I reinstalled Mozilla. From now
on I think I'll leave the preference files alone.