Patrick,

Starting with Netscape 6.1 (and Mozilla 0.9.2),
javascript://navigator.plugins.refresh() should register your DLL and
XPT just like plugins but as long as they are in the components folder.
You can create an XPInstall package to give the look-and-feel of an
automatic update. There are other ways to do this as well like directly
running regxpcom.exe or from using XPInstall.

Also, on Windows, to find the location of an install of Netscape or
other Mozilla-based browsers, look in the registry for the company key
"Mozilla" (usually under HKLM\Software). Each browser has an
"Extensions" leaf with keys for the location of the components and
plugins folders on disk.

-peterl