And it came to pass that Neville Cobb wrote:

> When you right click on a mail folder there is a selecton
> called 'compact'. Do we have to compact each folder after we
> delete items? Fir instance, I deleted items but the folder
> size did not reduce in size until I manually selected
> 'compact'. Is this the norm or does Moz automatically do
> some house keeping from time-to-time and compact
> automatically etc? I'm running Mozilla 9.3 on linux but I
> asume this part should work the same on windows as well.

It should automatically compact the file when you empty the
trash can.

When you "delete" a mail message, it's actually indexed for
deletion in the Trash folder; in other words it appears in
Trash, but is actually still in the original folder.  "Emptying"
the Trash folder completes the deletion.

--
}:-)       Christopher Jahn
{:-(         Dionysian Reveler

The early worm gets the bird.