I'm lobbying Mozilla supporters for an open, cooperative Web!
Come on, let's show the world how to run the web!

We need an open object on the Web. Why? So those of us who wish to
cooperate by instantly sharing data between domains can do so in an
elegant and intelligent manner. The old Netscape ( prior to version 6
) had an open object ... the "navigator" object. If you set a property
of the navigator object in one window, every other window instantly
had access to it. This enables data sharing between domains and
windows.

Check out a Demo of an open object. ( Netscape 4 required )

http://nodes.org/test/demo.htm

In Netscape version 4 you could set properties in the navigator
object. For example, if you set the following property in JavaScript

navigator.mydata='abcde';

this data could then be accessed by any page from any domain in any
browser window. If you issued the following command

alert(navigator.mydata)

it would show 'abcde' in an alert box.
This is transcendence. It is openness. It will help us build a more
cooperative, useful and intelligent internet.

This means we could share data invisibly and instantly, without
consuming bandwidth and without server intervention! Think about what
an open object could facilitate if we use it to share quality data in
a structured manner. We could share JavaScript functions, XML or
profile data via an open object and all of it would be instantly
available to every site we visit!

The open object should be controlled by the user, without any
installable software or site certificates, as a user-selectable
option. It should operate in a clear, easy and permanent manner.

By clear I mean the user should understand what they are doing by
selecting it. They are deciding to live in the open. They are allowing
sites to use their browser for the sharing of data between domains.
They are empowering others to track and report their activity in the
open. They are empowering everyone to improve their web experience
through cooperative data sharing.

By easy I mean it should be a switch that can be easily turned on and
off.

By permanent I mean it should remain "ON" or "OFF" until the user
changes that state. If the user turns the open oject "ON" then it will
still be "ON" the next time the user loads their browser. If it is
switched "OFF" then it is still be "OFF" the next time the user loads
their browser. It is permanent until the user changes it. The default
state should be "OFF" on a newly-installed browser.

What would this mean for the web? People are sharing data behind the
scenes all the time; they just aren't telling you. The open object
would level the playing field and empower average people to write
intelligent agents to use this data to produce higher quality results.

Everyone will have equal access to information stored in the open
object. This could include your name, address, home page, interests,
zip code, friends, recent searches ... whatever you wish to reveal AND
whatever the sites you visit wish to reveal. It's simply cooperation.

You could place a complete profile of information into the object by
visiting a startup page when you launch your browser.

This will make the web a much fairer playing field since any site
could take advantage of this information, rather than restricting data
sharing to only those sites which pay for it. This would decentralize
the ability to make intelligent recommendations rather than
centralizing it in the hands of the few.

There must be an ethical code for its use. The software for accessing
the open object and its properties must encourage "right use" by
keeping track of who set the property and only allowing other sites to
add to the data in the object. Only the site which created the
property would have permission to clear it. You can think of
properties as variables and the owner of the variable should have
control over its use. Ownership data should be stored in a defined
property of the open object. Each property could be controlled in a
number of ways by the owner of the property, that is, the site which
created it. Some properties would be reserved for administrative use
according to standards to be set in a cooperative manner.

Data stored in properties could have standard delimiters so that it
could be easily understood and utilized by other sites; we could use
XML to store data structures and data all in one!

Cooperation between browser manufacturers is essential to the success
of the open object. We should only support browser manufacturers and
corporations which comply with the standards.

The capability of the navigator object to pass data between domains
and between windows has been recognized for some time. But now in
Netscape version 6 it is gone! But it hasn't been utilized precisely
because there was no way to implement the same capability in Internet
Explorer.

All browsers should make access to the open object clear, easy and
permanent, as defined here.

I believe we need a third major browser (Mozilla?) to compete with
Internet Explorer and Netscape. Microsoft and Netscape have both shown
contempt for the user in their development strategies! Business first,
people second! Control should remain with the user, not the
manufacturer. Give us liberty!

The user should be empowered to choose how their browser works without
requiring site certificates or any other obtuse method.

I envision a simple switch on the menu bar, perhaps with a small red
or green light to indicate whether you are in "Open" mode or "Private"
mode. If you are in open mode, the open object is accessible to all
sites. If you are in "Private" mode, it is unavailable.

Perhaps a green light (ON) and a red light(OFF) would be intuitive
signals. The user should be able to switch between modes by clicking a
simple button on the button bar.

If a third browser manufacturer (perhaps Mozilla) included this
feature, then Netscape and Microsoft would be forced to follow its
example. Why? Because those of us who choose to live in the open will
gain new capabilities on the web. Sites will construct agents to use
this shared information in ways which improve our experience by
delivering more relevant and useful results. We can turn the web into
a cooperative place where human intelligence can flourish in the open!

Agents could serve up relevant content, including better advertising,
better search results, and more relevant recommendations based on the
information we shared through the open object. Relevancy saves time
and produces a higher quality experience for the user.

We are all richly blessed when we share quality data in the open.
Please write me if you want to help create this capability on the web.

Steve Moyer
http://nodes.org/steve

P.S.  The following is a comment from a discussion of this at
http://www.kuro5hin.org

Comment from Alhazred:

It is HIGHLY useful (5.00 / 1) (#4)
by Alhazred on Mon Sep 10th, 2001 at 04:21:59 PM EST

Perhaps the article didn't sufficiently explain the motivations for
this sort of capability.

Currently all existing browsers make it absolutely impossible for
sites to access information provided by another site. The logic behind
this is that one site might encorporate private information into a
page, and if another site's page could access that information (via
javascript for example) that would be a BAD THING.

No doubt this is true, however there are many legitimate reasons for
site developers TO share information in this way. One prime example
would be a "universal login" facility. Site A could hold usernames and
passwords in trust. A user would log into site A, and site A could
then post to the "Universal Object" a key which would essentially say
"this user is authenticated by site A". Sites B, C, and D could then
accept this authentication and grant access based on it without the
need for cumbersome and time-consuming authentication procedures of
their own.

The user wins because they need to remember only ONE username and
password to get access to everything on the net. Sites B, C, and D win
because they are unburdened of the necessity to implement and maintain
authentication systems of their own.

Another use would be in creating a rating system for sites. A user
could log in to a rating system site. This rating system site could
then look at the Universal Object and determine which other browser
windows were open and what URL's they were viewing, present a ratings
form, and then submit the ratings back to the rating system, all
without the need for the user to cut and paste URLs from one place to
another (as anyone who has tried to build such a system knows is
necessary as it stands today).

Other uses could include lightweight messaging systems, etc. Sites
could post summary information on the content of pages being viewed. A
million possibilities exist. Is there really a down side to all this?
No, not particularly. Anyone unscrupulous enough to share private
information by this method is already someone you don't want to have
that info in the first place, so what's new?