Um, you CAN associate file types as you see fit, you know.  Right click
on your .con file, choose "Open With" and choose notepad (or whatever).
    Check "Always use this program to open these kinds of files" and you
don't have to do this again.  Exact steps may vary with your version of
windows.  Or you can dig into your registry to alter your associations.
  Where's the problem?