Patrick Gallagher wrote:

> Phillip M. Jones, C.E.T. wrote:
>

> > [EMAIL PROTECTED] wrote:

> >>...Depending on the current user.  Unix has priviledge levels for a reason,
> >>and is capable of functioning with damage that would render an entirely GUI-
> >>based system inoperable.
> >>
> >>The same command line interface that you believe can destroy the system is
> >>the same feature that lends the Unix environment the phenomenal amount of
> >>power and speed (and reliability!) it is known for.  Yes, it is possible to
> >>cause major damage with a slip of the fingers, but the fact that MOST Unixes
> >>do not embrace the "everyone is superuser" choice of the Windows and MacOS
> >>worlds effectively limits the damage that can be done.
> >>
> >>Be careful how you generalize.
> >>
> >>--
> >>Brandon Hume    - hume -> BOFH.Halifax.NS.Ca, http://WWW.BOFH.Halifax.NS.Ca/
> >>                       -> Solaris Snob and general NOCMonkey
> >>

> > One advantage of the Mac OS prior to OS-X is that you can not
> > deliberately Reformat the Hard Disk which has your currently operating
> > system without starting up from the systems Disk or another Hard drive
> > with a function system.
> >
> > You have to conciously want to do so. It impossible to do otherwise.
> >
> > In Dos when I worked for a school system  all you had to type was fdisk
> > C:/ ( maybe  C>:/ been a while) and your machine was toast.
> >

> you might be thinking of
> C:\format c:
> Are You Sure(Y/N)?Y
>
> Formatting C:\ 5%
>
> you can't fdisk by accident - you could run the program, but it requires
> a fair bit of input before it'll do any actual damage - the format
> command require somewhat less...
>
> Patrick
 Sounds familar.

How about the INIT command. I'm trying to remember from my Windows
3.1.1. days.
Phillip M. Jones, CET      |MEMBER:VPEA (LIFE) ETA-I, NESDA,ISCET, Sterling
616 Liberty Street         |Who's Who. PHONE:276-632-5045, FAX:275-632-0868
Martinsville Va 24112-1809 |[EMAIL PROTECTED], ICQ11269732, AIM pjonescet

If it's "fixed", don't "break it"!

mailto:[EMAIL PROTECTED]
(note: America web page is a link to another website may go away at
anytime! please visit any or all)

http://www.kimbanet.com/~pjones/america/default.htm
http://www.kimbanet.com/~pjones/message/default.htm