One thing that makes Communicator not quit instantly is that if you read
a lot of newsgroups like i do, when it quits it purges all the headers
down to the amount you have allowed to stay in Edit > Preferences > Mail
& Newsgroups > Disk Space.

I have set to only allow only two days worth of back headers to stay.
also I only read a maximum of 100 post per newsgroups per day. Usually
when its purging though, you'll see a window come up with the name of
the newsgroups and a runing total of the headers being purged. As you
operate Communicator day after day this time takes less and less until
it gets to the point it no longer has additional headers to purge over
the limit.

Gordon Scott wrote:

> Hi
>
> do you have other fluff running with netscape like the quality feedback
> agent, etc. if so, close netscape and turn it off, all it does is crash
> netscape.  are you on a dialup? have you disabled java and javascript in
> mail and news preferences|advanced. Its rare that i notice a process
> hanging in NS these days, but you must be aware/gentle when visiting java
> enabled sites, it can be quite easy to dismiss a window that hasn't fully
> loaded, and have it hang invisibly in the background. check process
> running with ctrl alt del, wintop works good too, tho I like taskinfo2000
>
> Gordon
>
> "Shaun P. Roberts" wrote:
> >
> > I've always been aware that some components of Netscape 4.x run on for a while
>after closing the
> > last bit of the app., and have waited a few seconds before re-running it - say to
>use a different
> > user profile. But since I've upgraded my PC to use more RAM (256 Mb instead of 64
>Mb) it runs on for
> > anything up to 30 seconds! If I click on a desktop icon with a different
>command-line user profile
> > specified it simply doesn't load until the "first" copy unloads.
> >
> > This is a pain for me, as I've changed email addresses recently, but am still
>checking the old one
> > quite often - but also this is a problem when doing a shutdown: if Netscape was
>the last thing run,
> > Windows puts up the "task still running" panel if the thing is still active.
> >
> > I can use a program like "WinTop" to kill the thing quicker manually, but does
>anyone know any way
> > of configuring Netscape (4.78) or indeed Windows (98) to get the thing killed soon
>after closing?
> >
> > Shaun P. Roberts

Phillip M. Jones, CET      |MEMBER:VPEA (LIFE) ETA-I, NESDA,ISCET, Sterling
616 Liberty Street         |Who's Who. PHONE:276-632-5045, FAX:275-632-0868
Martinsville Va 24112-1809 |[EMAIL PROTECTED], ICQ11269732, AIM pjonescet

If it's "fixed", don't "break it"!

mailto:[EMAIL PROTECTED]

http://www.kimbanet.com/~pjones/america/default.htm
http://www.kimbanet.com/~pjones/message/default.htm