Help!  (please...!)

I've just started delving into the Mozilla framework -- a treasure!

Anyway, I'm striving to make sense of the string classes.  The only existing
docs consist largely of old email messages, which themselves refer to things
which are planned (and presumably implemented by now??)

The LXR browser is great, but leaves me a bit puzzled.  Searching for
nsString (as an identifier) in lxr.mozilla.org/seamonkey, I find the class
definition in mozilla/string/obsolete/nsString2.h.  Doing a diff on my
/src/mozilla/dist/include/string/nsString.h, I see that is, indeed, the
current nsString.h file.

So, why is it referred to as "obsolete"?  What's the status on strings?

Thanks.

    - Chuck