Christian Biesinger wrote:

> Al Rider wrote:
>
>> Rendering of html and css colors, yes that requires gamma consider, etc.
>> However, the answer is simple [unfortunately] just replicate IE.  90%
>> of the browsers are IE, so designers pick colors that look good with
>> IE; period.
>

> Mozilla's goal is not to replicate IE, but to create a standards
> compliant, good browser.
>
> If the standard says use Gamma Correction, we should not care at all
> what IE does and follow the standard.
>

>> As I understand it, PNG is a compression algorithm.
>
> It's an image format, like GIF or JPEG.

To be a bit specific, it's the unproblematic (license-wise) replacement
for gif.
But the rendring bugs that crop up are a problem.
An the fact that when a png is good in IE it's bad in mozilla and vice
versa should really be a hint towards the reason, but I can't figure it out.

--
Morten Nilsen, aka Dr. P

   4th Age webmaster & designer -  www.4th-age.com
                            Webprogrammer for hire