A. Predmore wrote:

> With Win95 and 98 and using NS 4.7x with dial-up networking (modem) upon
> double clicking Netscape's icon my dialer pops up. It happens with IE
> also.  With Windows 2000 when I launch IE my dialer pops up. It won't
> work with NS and I like this feature as it saves keystrokes.

I'm using Mozilla, but have had the same problem. I tracked down a
registry key that seems to have a (major) effect on Autodial with Moz/NS.

In regedit go to

HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Microsoft\RAS Autodial\Control\Locations

There should be a DWORD item with the *name* 1 (the digit one). Make
sure it's *value* is 0 (zero).

Over many months I have found that as long as this is set to zero then
autodial works reliably with Moz/NS, although not quite as well as IE
does, but then IE is part of the OS so has an advantage over Moz/NS in
this respect.

I don't know what changes the data of this item but every time autodial
stops working with Moz I find that something has changed the *value* of
this data item from 0 to 1 and changing it back starts autodial working
again.

BTW, Moz still gives "Failed to connect to server" if I go offline,
disconnect from the 'net, go online (in Moz), then click Get Messages; I
still have to start DUN again manually, after which Moz will connect OK.

HTH