Jason Fleshman wrote:

> Melissa 'Liss' Tyson wrote:
>
>> Hi all.
>>
>> I'm a long-time Moz user (well long-time in the development of
>> Mozilla) who just finally joined the mailing lists.  I'm enjoying
>> reading the lists, but I have one complaint.
>>
>> This email account has been up for almost a month.  I've been subbed
>> to a lot of info and security lists in that time.  I've never posted
>> to any of them, just read 'em and I've never gotten one piece of
>> spam.  Until last night.  When I signed up for these lists.
>>
>> In the past twelve hours, I've gotten six junk emails (No, I have not
>> ever /had/ a penis and even if I did, I would not want your fscking
>> pills...).  One of these mails was actually received from one of the
>> Moz lists and it was the exact same as two of the others that have
>> been popping up in this inbox.
>>
>> Quite obviously, my address was grabbed somehow in relation to
>> signing up for these lists.  Anyone know wtf is going on?
>>
>> Liss, who knows she's also opening herself up to harvesters by just
>> posting.
>>

> These mailing lists are also Usenet groups (which is how most of the
> people here access them, FWIW).  Spammers post here, hoping to find
> someone dumb enough to read their messages.  So nobody's spamming you
> directly; they're spamming all of us.
>
> Although if you're going to post, I would recommend getting a Yahoo,
> Hotmail, or other free spambucket account to use as your return address.
>
> --Jason

Spoofing works decently well too, although it has to be a unique spoof.
 Spammers have probably figured out how to delete NOSPAM by now.

--
Albert

"We must have a better word than 'prefabricated'. Why not 'ready-made'?"
--Winston Churchill

If sending email, remove the obvious spam-preventer from my email address.