DeMoN LaG wrote:

> JTK <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote in
> [EMAIL PROTECTED]">news:[EMAIL PROTECTED], on 23 Dec 2001:
>
> > Not quite a Mozilla question, but no, I've never seen anything like
> > that, and I download all kinds of crazy (and way-too-big) crappola.
> > What I do see quite often is both IE and Mozilla crapping out
> > during such a long download, especially over HTTP.  Neither
> > development team apparently has ever heard about the fact that
> > Zmodem back in the Paleozoic Era could recover interrupted
> > downloads, and all semi-modern FTP servers (don't know about HTTP)
> > support resuming as well.  Guess "append" is just too advanced a
> > concept in this Visual Basic / Java /
> > dumb-it-down-seven-shades-to-tuesday world we live in.
> >

> A) It is well documented that IE has problems downloading large files.
> I seem to recall Netscape's own webpage at one point saying "You may
> have to download an earlier version of Netscape, and then download
> Communicator 4.x", because IE would bomb before the whole thing was done

Huh, never heard that one.  But I did just read this when downloading
4.79:

"Smart Update may not work properly on Windows 2000 and Windows XP when
upgrading from Communicator 4.78. We recommend that you use the base
install or complete install instead of Smart Update. The base and
complete installs are available at
ftp://ftp.netscape.com/pub/communicator/english/4.79/windows/windows95_or_nt/.";
-
http://home.netscape.com/eng/mozilla/4.7/relnotes/windows-4.79.html?cp=dowrel

Well you can't really blame 'em I suppose.  It must be pretty hard to
pump all those ads at you while simultaneously attempting to do
something halfway worthwhile.

Oh, and does anybody else find it odd that AOL is *still* maintaining
the 4.7x series, all these years after Netscape 6.0 was released?  Hmmm,
I wonder if they know something many here won't admit?

> B) Mozilla is C/C++, JS, and XUL.  No VB or Java necessary

I was commenting on the sorry state of development in general.  Kids
today, etc.