> I'll repeat my original question, in case anyone forgot or wasn't
> listening: What, if anything, can those of us opposed to automatic
> favicon fetching do to get it removed?

One thing that you can do is to get some numbers on how you are hurt by the
favicon fetching. I have provided some formulas in the bug and in this
newsgroup how to calculate how many requests a server should get for
non-existing /favicon.ico files:

If you are worried that the favicon fetching will make your errorlogs
unreadables by filling them with requests for /favicon.ico, then use the
formulas to compare how many /favicon.ico request you'll get and compare
that to the size of your normal errorlog.

If you are worried that the /favicon.ico requests will cost you extra
bandwidth then multiply the number of requests with the size of a request
and compare that to your normal server-load.

If you are worried that your errorfiles will eat up your serverspace then
multiply the number of errorlog entries with the size of each entry and then
multiply by the cost from your service provider.

You get the idea. And get all your site-owning-friends to calculate these
numbers on thier servers too, the more and bigger servers we get numbers
for, the better.

I have requested this before both in this newsgroup and in the bug, but I
assume you just missed it in the general flod of spam in the bug, right?
Which is understandable.

Anyway, if you have trouble with understanding the formulas in the, then
feel free to mail me personally or ask in the bug (I personally don't read
newsgroups).

Regards,
Jonas Sicking