Ben Goodger wrote:
 >> The automatic favicon.ico fetching doesn't affect me directly - just
 >> like it wouldn't affect me directly if someone wanted to implement
 >> document.all support in Mozilla, since I never use document.all. But
 >> I still want automatic favicon.ico fetching to be taken out of
 >> Mozilla, for the same reason I would complain if someone added
 >> document.all support to Mozilla: It is simply a Bad Thing.
 >

> I'm entitled to have whatever beliefs I wish, as are you. But I'm not
> entitled to expect that when I make demands of others based on those
> beliefs that they will actually bend to my will, if they do not share
> them.

Are you saying that because automatic favicon.ico fetching doesn't
affect me directly, I shouldn't care? The bombing of the World Trade
Center did not affect me directly since I didn't know anyone who was
there - should I not care about that either, then?

You know, there _are_ people out there who are very annoyed by seeing
their ISP's icon on their pages, and who doesn't how to disable it. I've
seen complaints in support forums about it. So automatic favicon.ico
fetching *does create problems*. Turning it off would not do any harm,
since people who want it can add it manually with <link>.

The question that remains is: Why? Why do we need to automatically
request a file called favicon.ico when no icon is specified? Why is that
any better than automatically requesting favbackg.gif when no background
is specified?

--
/Jonas