k2 wrote:
> In article <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>, =?ISO-8859-1?Q?S=F6ren?= Kuklau says...
>>Do you mean "not work" as in "not show up when hovering it"? That's
>>intentionally not enabled as it violates standards. Use the TITLE
>>attribute for that. The ALT attribute - it stands for ALTERNATE - is for
>>texts to display when a browser can't load an image or can't display
>>images at all.

> Interesting. My bad. I've become so accustomed to seeing it used in this manner
> in MSIE I just assumed it was used this way in absence of the 'title' attribute.

Netscape 4.x did it, and Internet Explorer for Windows still does it,
even in 6.0. Probably for the sake of backwards compatibility. :-/

> Judging by the number of pages I've come across not using the title attrib in
> cases when such information is necessary I would say there are many others who
> have become used to this as well.

See http://www.w3.org/TR/REC-html40/struct/objects.html#adef-alt for the
definition of ALT as of HTML 4.01; see
http://www.w3.org/TR/REC-html40/struct/global.html#adef-title for the
definition of TITLE. Note the following in the latter link: "For
instance, visual browsers frequently display the title as a "tool tip"
(a short message that appears when the pointing device pauses over an
object)." Read: In this case, it is _proper_ for a user agent (= a
browser) to render it through a tool tip.

 > MS breaking a standard? Say it ain't so! Sorry.

You must be joking. They broke lots of them, whether it be intentionally
or not. That doesn't mean others didn't though.

--
Regards,
Sören Kuklau ('Chucker')